Sunday, June 12, 2011

Eat your vegetables!

Curried cauliflower with chickpeas and tofu
As it was getting closer to the end of the week, all I had left is cauliflower and broccoli.  At least something holds up in the fridge for more than a day!  I searched for something new and interesting to try with cauliflower, and found this promising recipe.  I hadn't made anything Indian for a while, so I was sold.  My original plan was to serve this with some brown rice, but I had raging carnivores coming over for dinner, so I also made some meatballs using this recipe, but with lamb instead of pork. (I also used a combination of golden raisins and dried cranberries instead of currants, and wish I had chopped them as the recipe states. Now I have pine nuts for my basil pesto at least!)  I couldn't find fennel seed for the cauliflower, but thankfully ginger was back on the shelves.  The cooking itself was pretty easy: chop, saute, simmer.  The tofu is cooked separately, after being coated in flour, which is a technique I'd never used but probably will again in the future.  The results were stunning.  The chickpeas and tofu really complemented the cauliflower.  The lamb meatballs were perfect: juicy and flavorful.  But the meat-eaters all went back for seconds of the vegetables...success!

No comments:

Post a Comment