Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Don't hold the anchovies!


It's a bit of a juggling act to get all these leafy greens cooked before they are too wilted to enjoy.  I had to do something with the broccoli rabe.  I found a good recipe on chow.com, and stocked up on anchovies.  As a kid, I only knew anchovies from references in TV and movies, when people usually order a pizza with "everything, hold the anchovies."  So I assumed that they were something no one liked.  All those fictional characters were really missing out.  I first started using them in my puttanesca sauce (sardines, by the way, also go well in puttanesca, but they're another food that TV taught me was strange), and enjoy their flavor a lot.  In this pasta dish, they really stand out -- they even stood up against the hot Italian sausage I added, though I did use two tins instead of one.  We had a great meal, rounded out with some broccoli, and good wine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment