Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Martha Stewart actually has a good Asian recipe!

Red bok choy
Ok, Martha is a big cliché.  And there was the whole insider trading thing.  But I've found that 1) she can laugh at herself (Exhibit A, Exhibit B), 2) her recipes are holding up in my kitchen (Exhibit C has been made by me and my roommate with great success).  So when I did a search for what I had on hand, bok choy and skirt steak, and one of Ms. Stewart's recipes came up, I decided I'd give it a try.

Let me back up a second.  I really had wanted to make flank steak, with the amazing marinade from How to Cook Everything.  But they were out of this cut at Whole Foods, so I took a gamble with skirt steak.  Then I got home and read how it's not a very tender cut, but used a lot in stir-fries.  So I decided I'd go with rice instead of potatoes.  And this led me to this recipe.  I was skeptical about the sauce: peanut butter and honey with soy sauce and vinegar?!  Since I had all the ingredients, I figured it couldn't hurt to try, and if it didn't work out, well...that's what sriracha sauce is for, right?



The final product
I'm happy to report that this recipe was a real winner.  The sauce is really delicious, and the gorgeous red bok choy from the farm is really a star in the dish.  Best of all, the skirt steak turned out perfectly.  It was a really quality piece of meat, and tasted like good grass-fed beef I've had.  I love when beef has that rich flavor, and makes you appreciate the animal it came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment