Sunday, September 18, 2011

Stuffed peppers & gazpacho

Teaching four classes is turning out to be more work than I had thought, but I have still managed to keep up with the produce.  Keeping up with the blog is another story...Soon I'll write a post about the preserving I've been doing, but in the meantime, some regular old recipes for what I've been making.  The summer vegetables are at their peak, and there has been a wonderful variety of peppers at the farm.  I've been saving up the hot ones to pickle, but when another CSA member offered me her share of poblanos, I knew I had enough to make something a little special.
Stuffed poblano with corn
(sauteed with tomatoes)


I came across this recipe that was truly tempting, and even though I don't have a grill, I knew I could improvise a little.  A friend made me some stuffed peppers in Russia, so I knew that I could parboil the peppers before stuffing and then bake them instead of grilling.  The result was delicious, even if my hands got burned during the de-seeding process.  Lesson learned: when in doubt, wear gloves!
Refreshing, cool gazpacho





Also in abundance at the farm are cucumbers.  I wanted to make pickles, but the ones I got in my farm share are "slicing" or field cucumbers, rather than smaller pickling cukes.  (I did get some pickling cucumbers elsewhere, but more on that later...).  Between all the cucumbers & the tomatoes from my share (plus some gorgeous heirlooms I picked up from the store), I decided to make some gazpacho.  There are tons of recipes, and I decided to go with the simplest one that didn't call for anything I didn't have around (such as bread).  So I consulted a few, and used this one as my basis.  I didn't use bell pepper, or tomato juice, but the results suggest that this was an allowable omission.  Now I just hope that the warm weather holds out to enjoy some of this large batch straight from the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment